SCAD X The Mill -Lookdev

UVing model, Material Quilts and File Set-up


9/25/20233 min read

Preparing Model

After I and Dee polished our tuk-tuk 3D model, It was time to re-organize the UVs. The original UVs of the model were workable but were not optimized for large surface areas- like the front frame of the vehicle. As the majority of the coverage had the same problem, I re-UVed the model for maximum surface optimization and organization.

Before After

Maps were divided per material, which were the following-

And only then, it was ready to be rigged and textured. Zach was responsible for rigging the model, and you can check his progress here in his blog.

Look Development Workflow

Substance Painter

Dee and I made a decision in our workflow to utilize both Substance Painter and Houdini Redshift shaders for our project. Any materials that require some hand-painted details, such as the surface paint for the rust and dirt splatter, would be done in SP. Materials like rubber_interior would be done in RS to save render time- since it was covering an area that barely shows in our composition.

These are the materials and each, where to work on, that me and Dee agreed.


Exterior paint- due to decals, dirt, and rust

Glass- due to dust, scratches, and possibly dried water streaks

Tire- due to dirt

Metal(wheel mechanics)- due to dirt and rust

Wheel- due to dirt and rust

Canopy- due to stickers

Plastic seat cover- due to handprints, dust, and scratches

Metal(interior frame)- due to handprints

Headlight O

Plastic(cable) O


Rubber(interior) O

Front&Back Indicator O

Metal(bolts n screws) O

I started working on the car materials, while Dee was focusing on the motion graphic assets and props. In Substance Painter, I created smart materials for each material on a sphere, which I was to present as a quilt. This enabled me to focus on each material more efficiently, and will also continue to do so once I receive feedback and make any changes.

Houdini Redshift

After exporting all sphere textures and tuk-tuk textures, I started organizing the look-dev table in Houdini.

The lookdev rig table was provided by Zach, which was made to be easily adjustable by parameters. I created both the quilt showcase and object turnaround with this asset.

After importing each texture, I made some changes to each material in the way that it looks best in Houdini Redshift. These nodes and parameters are shared between the sphere and the tuk-tuk texture- so if any changes were made to the sphere, I could simply copy the parameter or nodes and paste it in.

I also created certain materials that our team agreed to work on in RS shaders. For example, this is the shader network for the front & back indicator.

And these were the final results of the quilt and turntable.

Details and damage are to be added later on as I progress.

Look Development Reference

Before creating the materials, me and Dee gathered some image references we could look at. The best way for searching material references was to go to an online shopping mall selling different tuk-tuk parts, for close-up observation and life-like details.

This way, we were able to take a closer look at the materials for tints, patterns, and certain characteristics that differentiate each material from the other.